$44.230.0151.300.00

The United States has frozen arms sales to Taiwan due to the war with Iran

Kyiv • UNN

 • 2218 views

The US has suspended $14 billion in arms sales to Taiwan due to an ammunition shortage. Further deliveries will depend on the decision of the head of the Pentagon.

The United States has frozen arms sales to Taiwan due to the war with Iran

Acting Secretary of the U.S. Navy Hung Cao stated on Thursday that the United States is pausing $14 billion in arms sales to Taiwan due to the Trump administration's war with Iran. This was reported by The Hill, according to UNN.

Details

Speaking at a hearing of the U.S. Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on Defense, Cao insisted that the U.S. still has "enough" missiles and interceptor systems, despite growing concerns about the depletion of American ammunition stockpiles.

"We are pausing right now to make sure we have the munitions we need for Epic Fury — and we have enough. We are just making sure we have everything we need, and then foreign military sales will resume when the administration deems it appropriate,"

Cao told Senator Mitch McConnell. 

When asked by McConnell if he expects the sales to eventually be approved, Cao replied that it would depend on Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth and Secretary of State Marco Rubio.

"Yes, that is exactly what causes serious concern," McConnell responded.

Taiwan's President defends purchase of US weapons following Trump's statements18.05.26, 00:14 • 3905 views

Cao's statements appear to contradict President Donald Trump's previously stated position on the pause. Last week, Trump suggested he might delay arms sales to Taiwan as a "bargaining chip" in relations with China.

"I haven't approved it yet. We'll see what happens," Trump told Fox News. "Maybe I will, and maybe I won't."

Speaking with reporters after a trip to China, Trump stated that the issue was discussed "in detail" with Chinese President Xi Jinping, adding that he would make a decision "in the near future."

Cao's comments also come amid growing concern over the state of American military stockpiles.

It is reported that since the start of the war with Iran on February 28, the U.S. has expended thousands of missiles, using up nearly the entire stock of long-range stealth cruise missiles and significantly reducing inventories of Tomahawks, Patriot interceptor missiles, Precision Strike missiles, and ground-based ATACMS missiles.

The White House plans to ask Congress for an additional $80 to $100 billion for the war with Iran. A significant portion of these funds is intended to replenish expensive and high-tech weaponry expended during the 12 weeks of conflict, which transitioned into a tense truce in early April.

Taiwan expresses "cautious optimism" regarding US weapons supplies19.05.26, 13:31 • 3432 views