U.S. President Donald Trump convened a meeting on Iran with his national security team on Monday evening, which included a briefing on military options, Axios reports, citing two U.S. officials, according to UNN.
Details
The meeting took place several hours after Trump announced he was suspending strikes that he claimed had been planned for Tuesday.
Trump continues to maintain that Iran has only a few days to achieve a diplomatic breakthrough. He stated on Monday that the deadline is "two or three days, maybe Friday or Saturday, early next week."
While Trump has repeatedly threatened military action during the ceasefire without following through, "the fact that he was briefed on military plans on Monday suggests he is seriously considering the possibility of resuming the war," the publication notes.
U.S. officials say Trump had not actually made a decision on a strike against Iran before announcing the suspension. On Tuesday, he said he was "an hour away" from giving the order.
Trump canceled strike on Iran following allies' request for "serious negotiations"18.05.26, 22:22
Some officials expected Trump to make a decision regarding the strikes at a meeting with his national security team, which was scheduled for Tuesday but ultimately took place on Monday evening.
His decision to hold back was partly due to concerns expressed by several Gulf leaders regarding Iranian retaliatory measures against their oil facilities and infrastructure, U.S. officials and regional sources report.
U.S. officials stated that Gulf leaders urged Trump to give negotiations another chance.
Among those present at the meeting, according to sources, were: Vice President JD Vance, Secretary of State Marco Rubio, White House envoy Steve Witkoff, Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Dan Caian, CIA Director John Ratcliffe, and other high-ranking U.S. officials.
"The meeting discussed further steps in the war with Iran, the status of diplomatic efforts, and various U.S. military plans for strikes against Iran," the report says.
A U.S. source close to Trump stated that several Iran "hawks" who spoke with the U.S. President after his Monday announcement were left with the impression that "he is determined to crack their heads open to get them moving in the negotiations."
Many other U.S. officials were surprised by Trump's announcement on Monday and admit they do not understand which direction Trump is heading. Some believe he may hesitate again with a decision if no diplomatic breakthrough is achieved.
Trump claimed that "serious negotiations" are underway, although a senior U.S. official told Axios that the latest Iranian counter-proposal showed no significant progress.
A regional source said that mediators are working to have the Iranians present a more flexible position that takes into account U.S. nuclear demands.
"We might have to give Iran another big hit. I'm not sure yet. You'll find out soon," Trump said on Tuesday.