Trump appears unready to accept Iran's latest proposal to end the war - CNN

 • 4298 переглядiв

Trump plans to reject Iran's proposal to open the Strait of Hormuz without nuclear concessions. The US does not want to lose leverage over Tehran.

U.S. President Donald Trump signaled on Monday that he is unlikely to accept Iran's latest proposal to end the conflict after Tehran offered a plan that involves opening the Strait of Hormuz but leaves questions regarding its nuclear program for further negotiations, CNN reports, according to UNN.

Details

Two people familiar with the situation said Trump outlined his views during a meeting Monday with senior national security officials where the Iran issue was discussed. One of the sources said Trump is unlikely to accept the plan, which was conveyed to the U.S. in the last few days.

Iran offers US an end to the war and opening of the strait bypassing the nuclear deal - Axios27.04.26, 08:50

Opening the strait without addressing issues of Iran's uranium enrichment or stockpiles of near-weapons-grade uranium could deprive the U.S. of key leverage in negotiations, officials said.

However, maintaining the blockade of the strait will continue the rise in energy prices, which has led to a sharp increase in fuel costs in the U.S.

Following Monday's meeting, it remained unclear what Trump's next steps would be. U.S. officials say they remain concerned about what they perceive as divisions within the Iranian regime and are unsure who will retain the authority to make final decisions on a potential deal.

However, Trump has publicly expressed skepticism about the idea of resuming U.S. bombings, which have been suspended since he extended the truce last week, the publication writes.

The White House declined to comment on specific details of the negotiations.

"These are sensitive diplomatic negotiations, and the U.S. will not negotiate through the press. As the President has said, the United States holds the cards and will only enter into a deal if the interests of the American people come first, never allowing Iran to have a nuclear weapon," Assistant Press Secretary Olivia Wales said in a statement to CNN.

The US and Iran are not as far apart as it seems - media28.04.26, 08:20

Popular
News by theme
Trump appears unready to accept Iran's latest proposal to end the war - CNN

 • 4298 переглядiв

Russians strike Kryvyi Rih with drones: infrastructure damaged, one fatality reported

 • 3018 переглядiв

95 out of 123 drones neutralized during Russia's overnight attack

 • 3162 переглядiв

The US and Iran are not as far apart as it seems - media

 • 4654 переглядiв

Zaporizhzhia under drone attack, two men wounded – Regional Military Administration

 • 3646 переглядiв

US warns of sanctions for companies cooperating with Iranian airlines

 • 4258 переглядiв

Konotop under massive "Shahed" attack, infrastructure damaged – mayor

 • 19173 переглядiв

Death toll in Indonesia train crash rises to 14

 • 3727 переглядiв

Rubio reports "encouraging signs" regarding the demilitarization of Hamas

 • 4310 переглядiв